Call To Arms...er....email I mean.

Forum for all Blood Legion friends to chat with us.

Moderator: Spider

Call To Arms...er....email I mean.

Postby Captain on Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:48 pm

Ladies and gentlemen I am in need of your assistance. I have been fighting the current naming policy that WoW has in place and need your help. If you agree with what I say then please email Blizzard at:support@blizzard.com.

PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT TO A WOW EMAIL!

This is a post that was I posted on the WoW Forums:

The naming policy as it is now takes away the personal touch. Sometimes, not all the time, I can get a good idea of what type of person is behind the character by the name they choose.

Example: ImSoSilly would probably be a carefree person that is simply out to enjoy the game and the sense of community that is associated with it.

Names like Drizzt, Entrerri or Jarlaxle tell me that this person is a reader of fantasy literature and is most likely a serious gamer.

Names are important to me and, evidently, to hundreds of other players. Most of you who say a name is not important is probably not telling the truth. A name is everything. It is our identity and can tell others who we are.

Enforcement is an issue. I can't believe that Blizzard allows the GM's to use personal judgement to decide what is right and what is wrong. My personal dealings with GM's have been a joke. They tell you what they want and if you challlenge they say "gee, sorry, email blah@blizzard.com". You send the email and nothing you say or prove changes their minds. So it boils down to their way or no way. Yet they want my money. Blizzard management needs get their heads out of the sand, revamp the entire GM setup and address this issue. These guys need to be supervised alot better.

Bottom line is this: Who cares if they have multiple Caps, famous names or titles? As I have said before, if the name is not Immoral, Ethnic related or Illegal yet it is readable then leave it the hell alone and let us play the game and pay the fee.

Just my two cents worth on this matter.

Captain

I would appreciate any and all support from you. Thanks in advance. Email:support@blizzard.com

Captain
GM of SFC Alliance founded in 1998. Guild on Thunderlord
Captain

Postby Captain on Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:05 pm

Here is a copy of the email I submitted to support@blizzard.com

To Whom it may concern:

I am strongly against the current naming policy that Blizzard has placed in effect for World of Warcraft. I am 45 years old, a Blizzard fan for years, and Leader of a Blizzard only Guild (www.starfleetclan.com). We have had the pleasure of being Beta Testers and absolutely love the game but with the issue of the naming policy I find that I am at an impasse as to whether to purchase this game at retail. I feel that I should have a bit more control over my choice for names if I am going to pay a monthly fee to play the game.

Below is a post that was placed on your WoW Forums about my concerns with the current policy. Please read this and forward it to the person that can make a decision on this issue. I want them to know that you, Blizzard, is in danger of losing me as a customer and as many of my guild members as I can influence to do the same. Guild Wars is coming out in Feb and while it may not be WoW it has no monthly fee.

I await your reply.
GM of SFC Alliance founded in 1998. Guild on Thunderlord
Captain

Postby ZX7 on Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:41 am

I agree they are going a bit overboard with this naming policy, I will definitely help out and email my thoughts.

I suggest everyone does the same, if they get enough complaints maybe they will look into changing it a bit.
Zxtreme 70 UD Priest
Zxtasy 60 UD Warrior
ZX7
Guild Leader

Postby Smokie on Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:55 am

I agree Cap, my email is already sent brother.
"I'm not gifted.....just slightly twisted."
Smokie

Postby bsemeyn on Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:15 am

I've got my email in too. It's funny, they don't have a naming policy like that for Warcraft3. Why would it suddenly be so important for WoW?
Torke
Night Elf Rogue
lvl 35 and climbing...
bsemeyn

Postby ZX7 on Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:58 pm

Greetings,

I couldn't disagree with this naming policy for World of Warcraft more. Since I've seen some of the names that were forced to be changed, I'm having second thought about buying this game in retail. I have been an avid Blizzard fan since Diablo 1 in 96 when the guild I'm in was started.

My guild Blood Legion is a legit blizzard guild, we dont believe in cheats/hacks and thus we have atleast a minor impact on the community around us. Alot of my members don't like the extent of resriction on names in WoW. Names like "irtehleetz" is understandably retarded and dont belong in this genre of fantasy games. But a name like WannaCookie, SirMerlin, DrToothy, and SireWar being disallowed is just pushing me to ask my guildmates not to purchase this game in retail. We've been testing since alpha with currently 55 members and we've seen the changes since that time and frankly the GM staff needs a bit more structure imo.

In my experiences they use their best judgement which doesn't also meet another GM's judgement. Basically something is ok in GM (A)'s opinion but GM (B) disagrees. This naming policy completely angers me, I've loved this game since my first sight of the character creation screen back in alpha and i've pushed all of my guild to atleast try the game in retail, I mean im practically a walking billboard for WoW, but now I am beggining to think this game will be more of a hassle instead of a fun game...especially one we'll all be paying to play. Whats the need to restict names if they are not leet speak, illegal, or offensive?

A loyal but upset Blizzard fan awaits your reply

And there it is.
Zxtreme 70 UD Priest
Zxtasy 60 UD Warrior
ZX7
Guild Leader

Postby HellFury on Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:00 pm

I've sent my 2 cents in.
HellFury

Postby Lardo on Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:19 pm

The policy doesnt bother me too much, but I still sent in a complaint making a big fuss for everyone elses sake
Lardo

Return to Public for Peasants