Affliction Help from Shinafae

Forum for all Blood Legion friends to chat with us.

Moderator: Spider

Affliction Help from Shinafae

Postby Darkdevotion on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Hello Shinafae!

This is my first discussion post ever so I find it fitting to be toward the lock I research.

In FL content I used to end in about 22-24k dps on most boss fights, with the last 25% of the boss being where I'd climb the charts. However after 4.3 I just can't seem to reach these numbers as affliction. Even on Ultraxion which is hardly any movement at all.

I follow your lock a lot and use you as a template for reforging and what not. A few weeks back I saw you reforged more into mastery and dropped you haste down to roughly 2400-2600s but see you have reforged again to be over 3k haste.

I have Destro OS but find I never use aff on any boss due to my personal lack of dps.
Of course my numbers won't be anywhere near yours since I dont have the legendary staff and only raid 10m regs but hoping you can help me in anyway you can.

Grats on H-MoD Kill and look forward to hearing from my top pick Warlock.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/A ... n/advanced
Darkdevotion

Re: Affliction Help from Shinafae

Postby Shinafae on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Hello Darkdevotion,

It is difficult to help you with your rotation specifically without access to logs to see what you are doing and what could be improved.

I can say that Affliction is very much a finesse spec, wherein your damage is heavily dependent on proper management of your procs and buffs. Thus, I strongly recommend that you find an easy way to track procs such as Power Torrent, Eradication, and Velocity (from your Insignia trinket) as well as INT/SP buffs such as your potions and Mark of the Firelord (from Rune of Zeth). Your Insignia has a 2 minute ICD and a high proc chance, so with your current setup, you should be able to achieve a very strong combo of Insignia, Zeth, and Demon Soul if you use the latter two roughly on cooldown. Depending on your Power Torrent proc RNG, PT will probably line up with your third Demon Soul somewhat as well, and very well with your fourth (if the fight lasts that long). For a fight like Ultraxion, I suggest sitting on your cooldowns after your second Demonsoul and fourth rune of Zeth usage, and then using them in tandem with your sixth Power Torrent proc and second potion during execute range. You will enjoy the numbers that you see.

Concerning gear, I was reforging to Mastery as you observed because I was playing Destruction at the time. Destruction ideally wants to stack haste to 2681, at which point an extra tick of Immolate during Bloodlust is obtained, and then opt for Mastery. For Affliction, Haste is far and away the best secondary stat regardless of current levels. I also recommend the Lavawalker boot enchant for general usage - I did indeed have a 50 Mastery enchant on my boots at the time you looked up my armoury, because we were currently progressing on a fight with a near-nonexistant movement requirement and I was Destro. If you want to swap out boot enchants according to the movement needs of each encounter you are progressing through, I recommend 50 Haste for Affliction and 50 Mastery for Destro/Demo, assuming you've met each spec's respective haste cap through gear.

I notice that you are sacrificing tremendous amounts of Intellect in order to meet socket bonuses; this is not desirable under any circumstance as intellect is far and away our best stat. After a quick perusal of your armoury, the only orange gem that you should be using is a Reckless cut in your boots to meet the socket bonus. I highly recommend epic gems where at all you can afford them. Additionally, this tier's 397 tailoring pants are absolutely phenominal for locks, if you can afford a pair.

Because a picture is worth a thousand words, I made a more suitably gemmed and reforged gearset for you as Affliction. I also gave you Blacksmithing and Enchanting as professions because you need to pick up two raiding-viable professions as they are a significant DPS increase (80-100 extra INT each).

http://chardev.org/?profile=298426

Best of luck and happy Warlocking,
Shinafae
Shinafae

Re: Affliction Help from Shinafae

Postby Darkdevotion on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Thank you so much and can't wait to try it out in tonights raid!
Darkdevotion

Return to Public for Peasants